CAVEAT: I have a limited knowledge of statistics and and am not particularly adept with respect to formulas. Hence, kindly explain using prose if you would.
ISSUE: Using stock trading software by prophet.net, a 64-day Linear Regression Trendline ("LRT") is currently the best fit for a particular stock. The 64-day LRT has an R-squared of .933. Now, the trading software has an indicator called "Standard Error Bands" which allows you, for example, to enter (64,3), (64,2), (64,1) etc. In this example, of course, the indicator plots "standard error band" values ("SE") (3SE, 2SE, 1SE etc.) both above and below the 64-day LRT.
With all this in mind, I have researched how to calculate "standard error" but my results don’t seem to match the trading software. The trading software determines the 64-day LRT by using the CLOSING prices for the last 64-days. Can someone give me a step-by-step on how to calculate the 1SE of the 64-day LRT. ASSUME THAT I ALREADY HAVE THE LRT VALUE–I do.
It’s my understanding that the "Standard Error" is the "Standard Deviation" divided by the square root of the number of samples. I tried taking the Standard Deviation of the Closing Prices over the last 64 days and, alternatively, the Standard Deviation of the 64-day Linear Regression Trendline itself–both of which come out to 3.15 and 3.18 respectively, and then divided both of those numbers by 8, which gives me a value of .39 or so for 1 Standard Error. The software, however, has a value that is much greater–closer to .80.
Trading indicators are best used along with money management and good risk control, using trading indicators alone will not enable you to be a successful trader, even if you learn everything about day trading indicators the market is just too random and unless risk is controlled, over time your account will slowly get wiped out, regardless how good a “trader” you think you are.
This question was about day trading indicators and there have been some pretty good answers that should help in your trading, and especially in relation to day trading indicators, the answer has been posted in the categories listed below:
Related Trading Posts
- Linear Regression Indicator: Calculation in Microsoft Excel? The Linear Regression Indicator (LRI) is a stock market indicator. It's value each day is the same as a Linear Regression Trendline (LRT). The LRI is calculated using the "least […]
- Linear Regression Indicator: How do I Calculate in Microsoft Excel? The Linear Regression Indicator (LRI) is a stock market indicator. It's value each day is the same as a Linear Regression Trendline (LRT). The LRI is calculated using the "least […]
- Where & How can i download Forex trading software i.e Fx (forex, stock,currency)software online ? i want to know which site allows to download the Fx trading software, foreign Currency Exchange Software, Stock Trading Software, Online currency trading software, free Forex Strategy […]
- how does on balance volume in forex trading work as an indicator? someone help who knows statistics. How can one trade on it and not get confused with different periods of time the calculation is based upon.
Trading indicators are best used along with […]
- What does the "pre-market" stock quote mean when I look up a stock before the opening bell ? What establishes the "pre-market" price??? Is it usually any indicator for the regular trading day ??? I basically want to know if it's relevant to anything.
- Where is the best place to find out about different stock day-trading systems? I'm new to day trading, and trying to research the many different systems available. Where could I find impartial, independent research on how the different systems work, and how well […]
- What is the best way to research stocks for day trading? Finding stocks under pressure, to watch the next day? I am new to day trading and my "mentor" has failed to train me on preparing for the following day and spotting stocks under pressure. Can anyone give me some advice, it would […]
- What is day trading and How to start day trading? How and where do you day trade? and do you need a software to day trade? Is it possible to do day trading with online broking websites?
Trading indicators are best used along with money […]
- Who has a good system for determining entry points into a stock for long and short trades 1-5 days? I need a great system complete with strong indicators. Which strategy works well for you?
Trading indicators are best used along with money management and good risk control, using […]
- expert trader give me some tips on trading ? i have been doing day trading for about a year but i am busy and dont have time to sit and watch the stocks everyday. now i am trying to use another way to make some money and that is to […]